They are supposed to be good orators but something which our politicians cannot avoid is Bloopers!!!!!
It’s only after they have said something in front of the media the politicians realize that how blundering it was. Often they end up saying something vague which can be easily sizzled by the media.
To their rescue comes the ‘official statement’ from their party blaming the media for misquoting their noble thoughts! Or may be sometimes for getting the party hands clean out of the matter, they shun taking responsibility for any such ‘misquotations’.
More often than not politicians intentionally issue stunning statements to stir controversy that ends up on compromises with the promise of not indulging in war on words anymore but the drama goes on. This tactic is also used to divert public attention from on going burning issue.
Mentioned are few of such ‘golden’ quotations from the elected leaders which are memorable for the people not because they were strong or power but also because they really sounded hilarious coming from their mouth. Living in an entertainment starved country like Pakistan — media gives maximum projection to their crazy statements and leaves nation hassled in serious or sometimes lighter vein until a new statement pops up.
In the light of Pakistan’s political history below I have tried to pen down few ‘notable’ quotes that have incited controversy in political arena and made Pakistanis stunned.
1. National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO) is a medal and I regret over not to be listed in NRO.
Governor Punjab, Salman Taseer
2. Everyone whether he is a Baloch, Sindhi, Seraiki, Pashtun or Punjabi should be given an equal right to do corruption
3. The other issues are all domestic and could be discussed later on … I can co-exist with a pig but not with a Punjabi.
4. Accords not holy Quran or Hadith
5. I am not among those who offer sacrifice but I am among those who take sacrifices.
6. Gen Musharraf planned a bloodbath of innocent Muslims at the behest of others only to prolong his rule, but we in the PML-N opposed his policies and rejected dictation from abroad and if the Taliban are also fighting for the same cause then they should not carry out acts of terror in Punjab
7. Let’s persuade people to consume less sugar and then we will see where these hoarders sell their sugar.
8. Dr Babar Awan is ‘Abu Jahl’ of lawyers’ fraternity
9. Governor Punjab’s status no better than ‘toilet paper’
10. I’m a badmash and know well how to deal with this lot.
11. You must understand the environment in Pakistan. This has become a moneymaking concern. A lot of people say if you want to go abroad and get a visa for Canada or citizenship and be a millionaire, get yourself raped.
12. Our Hero Is Raja Dahir Not Muhammad Bin Qasim
13. Degree is a degree whether original or fake
14. I don’t say that there is no corruption in my ministry, but the question is where it is not.
15. These (Burying women alive) are centuries-old traditions, and I will continue to defend them.
16. We were ready to break Pakistan and were much more determined to chant slogan of ‘Pakistan Na Khapay’ – No need of Pakistan.
17. The division of the subcontinent was the biggest blunder in the history of mankind. It was not the division of land; it was the division of blood.
18. I apologies to the departed soul of Sikh ruler (Ranjit Singh) for frequently quoting his name in meetings for wrong reasons. I was wrong. Ranjit (Singh) was a great administrator of Punjab.
19. Iftekhar Chaudhry is the scum of the earth – a third-rate man – a corrupt man.
20. Even more gorgeous than I had expected, now I know why the whole of America is crazy about you. If he’s (cameraman) insisting, I might hug you.
21. Punjab law minister Rana Sanaullah is a ‘manjan seller’
22. Even if contract is given to America it will also be unable to bring peace
23. His (Altaf Hussain’s) arrest seems only weeks away, and investigations being conducted by Scotland Yard and police are in their final stages.
24. Look, you will soon see Shaukat Aziz ditching Gen Musharraf and joining the political leadership of the opposition parties.
25. I am not afraid of jail’s mosquitoes
26. Munawar Gill committed adultery with consent, can’t take action.
27. Kamran Khan, the famous Geo TV anchorperson, presented 560 news stories solely on President Asif Zardari, mainly to target him. Ansar Abbasi is also working on the same agenda, i.e. to weaken democracy in Pakistan. Both the senior journalists are ‘Indian agents’.
28. I launched my Facebook page eight months ago; today I have more than 315,000 fans.
Former President of Pakistan, Pervez Musharraf
29. All out efforts are being made to overcome the energy crisis and the load-shedding would end by December 2009.
Minister for Water and Power Raja Pervez Ashraf
30. Nawaz League is the enemy of Pakhtuns and still following the policies of Ranjeet Singh
ANP Provincial President Afrasiab Khattak
31. No Muslim is involved in suicidal attacks in Pakistan, and rather Blackwater (Xe) – a US private contractor – and Indian agents are involved in these incidents.
32. The MQM will openly support the patriotic generals if they take any martial law-type action against corrupt politicians and feudal lords.
33. Tehrik-e-Insaf will back military rule in the country for the sake of stability.
34. My own brother approached me and said lala (brother), ‘Can I also join your party?’ I told him to run away … you are a known gambler.
35. I have sent Gilani to the PPP and I will call him back to the PML, when he becomes tired.
36. The PML-N has appointed Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah as a “loudspeaker”
37. How a person, who used to sell tickets at Bambino cinema in Karachi, reached the Surrey Palace and became richer than Queen Elizabeth before his ascendancy to the presidency? It is a million-dollar question that only the PPP top leader has to answer.
38. If Musharraf is thinking he can stage a comeback it’s only because how things are now, his era looks relatively better
39. Yesterday, when I asked Khwaja Imran Nazir for a lift, he was listening to Munni Badnam, an Indian song, in his car.
40. Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz will take out a ‘long march’ if the decision (of bringing in NAB chairman) is not retracted.
41. I have been able to take the nod of one bride (ANP) and now I am going to take the nod of another (MQM)
42. If it is possible for Punjab’s leaders, they can unite their province with Indian Punjab